10/13/2009

Oh ye old flowery eyes? Nay, just Presbyopia…老lăo花huā 眼yăn

(Guest post by one of our students M. Thomason)



Suffering from months of reading difficulties, I mean difficulties in reading small prints, I finally gave in and went for another round of re-adjusting my lenses to fit my current eyesight. I have been myopic, and my lenses once reached 800 and 750 by prescription. The first time I noticed my reading difficulties with small prints, the ophthalmologist told me in a way a doctor would tell a patient with irreversible physical condition, that I already reached the age when my eyes could not focus so quickly as before. He added, "also, you have presbyopia already," with a sorry smile that made the previous statement sounded like "you have about 3 weeks to live".


Chinese use 老lăo花huā眼yăn to describe presbyopia. 老lăo means old and/or aged; 花huā means flower or to describe colorful or blurry condition; and 眼yăn means the eyes. I am sure most of you would understand the 老lăo and 眼yăn, but why 花huā?

You may also want to know:
挽 wăn 面 mìan -The Art of Hair Removal

No comments:

Post a Comment